On Monday, January 22, 2018, from 9 am – 12 pm, FABSCRAP needs help to sort all the fabric it receives from designers. It’s easy to learn and fun to do. In exchange for a full session, you could receive up to 5 lbs of free fabric!
What to expect:
- Tour of FABSCRAP (10 minutes)
- Training: Learn How to Sort (20 minutes)
- Sort! (2 hours)
- Shop (30 minutes)
Some tips for a successful volunteer session:
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes
- Bring an extra bag to carry your free fabric
- Bring a book to read on the train to and from the warehouse – it’s about an hour from Manhattan
- There will be music on in the warehouse, but feel free to bring headphonesThe warehouse is located at 184-10 Jamaica Avenue. It’s just a short walk from the last stop on the F train (179th Street), or you can take the Q110 bus from the last stop on the E train (Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer) to 184th street (which is right in front of the warehouse). There is also a free parking lot at the warehouse across from 185th st, should you prefer to drive. You’ll see IDEAL BUILDING above the entrance door to our building. Come up to the 4th floor (labeled Hankey Pankey) and wait by the elevators. When you arrive, please call the number listed by the door, you will be greeted there and escorted to the sorting area. Please arrive on time for the start of your session.
PLEASE NOTE: Sorting fabric requires the use of sharp scissors and some moderate lifting (20-30 lbs). If this is of concern, please let us know when you arrive. By registering for a sorting session, you are agreeing that you have read and understood the volunteer agreement.
For more information, check out FABSCRAP!